The ASPS poetry journal of member's poetry.
Sandcutters accepts manuscripts from members only. By entering the monthly contest(s) winning authors agree to allow Sandcutters first-time publication rights. All future reproduction rights are retained by the authors. The editor(s) retains the right to make all decisions on formats, long-line breaks, and placement in the publication.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES TO ENSURE YOUR POEM IS INCLUDED IN THE CONTESTS.
Submission to ASPS monthly contests is limited to current members of the Arizona State Poetry Society. Members may submit only UNPUBLISHED original poems. The contest chair asks that you wait 45 days after the contest deadline before submitting these poems elsewhere. There is no entry fee to the monthly contests.
1) If mailing, enclose two (2) copies of each poem. One copy with your name and address in the upper left corner. Both copies should include the month - category - form or subject in the upper right corner. Please proofread your work thoroughly.
If emailing, attach a copy of the poem to your email and ONLY PUT THE CATEGORY AND THE MONTH on the poem. Do NOT put your name and address. In the body of your email, please enter category, month, and title or first line of the poem.
2) FORMAT: poems should be typed or computer-generated on white bond paper, size 81/2" x 11". Originals or clean copies are acceptable. Submit each poem on a separate sheet.
3) LIMITS: submissions have a maximum of 30 lines (including line spaces between stanzas) per poem; the poem title does not count as a line. Submit only one poem per category per month. Please, no simultaneous submissions.
4) DEADLINE: entries must be postmarked, or sent by email, by the first of the month and received by the fifth of the contest month.
5) WINNERS: each month nine (9) selected poems will receive a $5.00 award and are published in the next issue of Sandcutters. Please include a SASE for a reply. To assist our bookkeeping, winners are requested to cash checks promptly.
6) MAIL, OR EMAIL, TO: Rhonda Brown, ASPS Monthly Contest Chair, 1550 N. Stapley #129, Mesa, AZ 85203 OR [email protected]
Category I: Traditional (Identify form)
Category II: Free Verse
Category III: The Monthly Subject (see below)
NOTE: This year, 2017, there will be monthly contests for October, November & December as the ASPS Annual Contest has been suspended.
JANUARY 2017 - Ages and Stages
FEBRUARY 2017 - Friendship
MARCH 2017 - Time Travel
APRIL 2017 - Bridges
MAY 2017 - Letting Go
JUNE 2017 - Games
JULY 2017 - Luck
AUGUST 2017 - Gratitude
SEPTEMBER 2017 - Holding On
OCTOBER 2017 - Before anything else...
NOVEMBER 2017 - The way of languages
DECEMBER 2017 - Old wishes